Thursday, November 2, 2017

Budweiser 1933 Repeal Reserve Amber Lager

I generally don't seek out AB-InBev products, but I am a sucker for anything that says it is Prohibition related. I also recently read a good book called Beer Blast and it reminded me that we recently don't see new beer releases from the Bud line. Plus, this does have some kick-ass packaging, that I must admit is really appealing. So, I had to give it a try. This 6.1% ABV amber lager is supposedly based on an AB recipe for a pre-prohibition beer that was brewed for the St. Louis market.

The beer pours a very dark, yet gem-like, amber. There is an inch of fairly thick head, light tan. The aroma is well toasted malt, sweet potato, toffee, and caramel. The taste follows the aromas, very malted, very toasted. There is sweetness, but the finish comes to an abrupt dry, yet bright finish. There is light bitterness, but enough to put the breaks on the sweetness until you take the next sip. The beer has a medium body strong enough to hold up the flavors, yet with a strong and intense carbonation. This is pretty interesting, it does actually have flavor, but there is something in the finish I don't quite like, a metallic note?


No comments:

Post a Comment