Saturday, September 29, 2012

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

Since I first chanced upon a pint of Dorothy's New World Lager at Shorts Burger & Shine and a pint of Golden Nugget at the Sanctuary Pub in Iowa City a couple of years ago I have been a huge fan of Toppling Goliath Brewing out of Decorah, Iowa. I will tell you this, Toppling Goliath generates strong opinions from me. They are currently at work on an expanded brewery, and I so look forward to their larger capacity leading to wider distribution. Their beers are currently only available on draft (with some small exceptions). The new brewery should change this, and they have been getting label approval for some of their beers. (Update 2014: Although demand far exceeds supply currently, they are getting as much product out in bottles now as they can). Drinking their beer is a highlight of my trips to Iowa City, but I would love to see them get even greater range. STRONG OPINION # 1: Toppling Goliath is hands down the best brewery in Iowa. STRONG OPINION # 2: Toppling Goliath is actually one of the best breweries in the United States. If you don't believe me, find a way to find their beers. Look, I have tried a lot of different beers, just check out my Beer List on here. So I am not coming out of left field on this, it is based on having tried a lot of different beers.

I was in Iowa City this week and finally had the opportunity to take some notes as I drank some Toppling Goliath beers at Shorts, the Sanctuary, and at The Mill.

Rush Pilsner - I did not even realize that TG made a pilsner until I sat down at the bar at Shorts Burger & Shine to get a burger. This beer is 4.7% ABV and was a  nice golden yellow in color with white  head. The aroma was fresh, grassy and floral on top of golden grain. The taste followed the aromas, with just a touch of sweetness with the malty grain, followed by a perfectly bitter  and dry finish. The aftertaste was pleasant and reminiscent of the original flavors. This beer is excellent and one of the very top American pilsners. STRONG OPINION #3: This is one of the top three American pilsners, it may even be number one.

Dorothy's New World Lager - This 5.5% ABV lager is a California common style (thanks to Anchor, other brewers can't call it a "Steam" beer).  It is a pure golden color with a white head. It has the taste and aroma of lightly honey sweet grain and fresh grass. It has a lightly bitter finish. This is a great beer, but I would have to take the Rush over this if I could only have one.

pseudo Sue Pale Ale - This 5.8% ABV, dark golden and orange beer is probably the most hop forward pale ale I have ever smelled. It features the Citra hop and has grapefruit, tropical fruit, lots of mango, and citrus. The flavor follows the aromas directly and has the most mango notes I have ever had in a beer. The finish is moderately bitter. This beer is unbelievably drinkable, with huge flavors, but easy drinkability. The aroma of this beer blew me away and had me salivating to take a drink of it. The flavor did not disappoint. STRONG OPINION #4: This is quite possibly the best American Pale Ale, and it is even better than Zombie Dust by Three Floyds. (Yep, I said it.)

Golden Nugget IPA - This 6.0% ABV beer's aroma is loaded with tropical fruit and citrus. The taste has lots of tropical fruit, citrus, grapefruit rind and a touch of pine. It is crisply carbonated and dangerously drinkable. It has loads of flavor, but drinks easy. This is a classic IPA. STRONG OPINION #5: This is one of the best American IPA's, possibly even in the top 5.

I have to make one final observation on the Zeelander IPA (5.5% ABV and featuring the Nelson Sauvin hop). This one is an acquired taste, and I have not acquired it. The hops it uses imparts a distinctly oniony taste (they call it earthy and marigold, but it is straight onion to me). If you like this, try to explain to me why, it just doesn't work for me. 2014 edit: Not sure what was happening when I first tried this, now I love it, check my notes HERE.


No comments:

Post a Comment