Sunday, December 14, 2014

Boulevard Silver Anniversary Ale

This 7.3% ABV golden copper ale is from Boulevard Brewing of Kansas City, Missouri. It celebrates that 2014 is the 25th anniversary for both them and Odell Brewing of Denver, Colorado. They each sold their first keg of beer in November of 1989, within about 24 hours of each other.

The beer pours a deep copper and amber, glowing and gem-like burnt orange, turning to ruby. There is a half-inch of foamy, somewhat creamy light tan head. The aroma is sweet, yet tangy, fruity, cherries, herbal, caramel malt. The taste is malty, fruity, herbal, with the tang and earthiness of a Belgian type yeast. The bottle talks of piney hop notes. I guess the earthy, herbalness I am getting could be that, but it doesn’t have the zip of pine that I usually get when it is from hops. The beer drinks with that fine, softly intense carbonation of bottle conditioning. The finish is tangy, fairly dry, with a light to moderate bitterness. I have tried a lot of beers, and this one is hard to categorize. Frankly, I didn't enjoy it as much as I do most Boulevard releases.


No comments:

Post a Comment