Saturday, August 4, 2012

Rogue Voodoo Doughnut

This is a bacon maple ale from Rogue Ales of Newport, Oregon.  In addition to several smoked malts and pure maple flavoring, the ingredient list includes applewood smoked bacon.  I am not sure how one brews with bacon.  I'll be honest, I am scared of this brew.

The beer pours a deep and dark amber and copper, tinting towards ruby and garnet.  There is a half inch head of very light brown foam.  You can smell maple from two feet away.  The aroma is strong maple, smokey, smoked bacon, and cake doughnut.  This is weird, oh my God, I am going to drink it now...The taste is sweet, maple, burnt, smoke, pork, maple, burnt, sweet.  It is burnt, bitter, cloying, maple and smoke all at once.  Lord, this is nasty stuff.  The aftertaste is mostly maple and much better than the experience of drinking the beer.  Now, I am glad I got to try this, but as a beer it is a stunt, a novelty beer, and I'm not impressed.  I need to go rinse out my glass and my mouth.


No comments:

Post a Comment