Thursday, March 14, 2013

Mikkeller Hoppy Easter

Mikkeller is a brewery based in Denmark. It beers its brews in breweries all over the world. This beer was brewed at De Proef Brouwerij in Lochristi-Hijfte, Belgium. It is a 6.6% ABV German style India Pale Ale. I have tried a lot of beers and I am not even sure what a "German style" IPA is supposed to be. Well, I guess I am about to find out.

The beer pours a hazy orange, amber and copper. There is a short head of off-white foam. The aroma is tart, grassy, yeasty, citrus and floral over a solid maltiness. The taste follows the aromas directly, with the hop and yeast notes hitting first and then the malt slowly making its way through. The finish is very dry and fairly bitter. So, I guess a German style IPA has German malt battling English hops on the field of Belgian yeast, much like World War One.



No comments:

Post a Comment