Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Stella Artois

I have to admit, this Belgian lager, Stella Artois,  from Leuven, Belgium, is one of my favorite lagers and has been for a long time.  I remember first drinking it from draught in a pub in Scotland in 1992.  It was nice to see it become so popular in America about a decade later.  It is now fairly easily found in the US, not only in bottles, but also on tap at many bars.

It pours a sparkling dark golden color.  There is a tall head, white and thickly foamy. It leaves an even lacing all around as the glass empties.  It has a light aroma of grain and a straw-filled barn on a cold day.  There is a hint of musk.  Tastes of grain and fresh straw with a crisp hop finish that is just bitter enough to provide a refreshing balance to the malt grain. It is moderately carbonated, but also has a smoothness.  A great session beer.

May 2013 - I hadn't had a Stella in quite awhile. I know it is trite to say this, but I think it is true.  The flavor of this beer has been dumbed down recently under AB-InBev control.

Love this old school bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment