Friday, August 27, 2010

Olde English 800

Olde English 800 is brewed by the Miller Brewing Company.  It used to be brewed by Pabst.  I think the first time I tried OE800 was probably in about 1993 or 1994.  It was sometime in my senior year of college in Boston.  By the time of our spring fling concert I remember that my housemates and I thought it would be a good idea to have a case of 40's of OE800 on hand.  I drank a lot of Olde English when I lived in the Twin Cities too.  I think the first time I got it in St. Paul was probably at Big Top Liquors on University and it was a six pack of tall boy cans.  I just couldn't resist the tall golden gleaming beacons of malt liquor.  I might be crazy, but I think that generally the mainstays of malt liquor are all better tasting now than they were back then.  40 oz. bottles, 22 oz. bottles, 16 oz. cans, 12 oz. cans, I've had them all.

There are several things I really like about Olde English.  First, they have not changed their label in I don't know how long, certainly not in the approximately 21 years that I have consumed it, and by its design perhaps not in forty years.  To me that is a plus, they are retro cool.  I hope they never change their label.  Secondly, you can do so many combos on its name.  OE.  OE 800.  Olde English.  A 40 of OE.  A 4-0 of OE.  A double deuce of OE.  You get the idea.  I also like the fact that they still do the 22 oz. bottles.  Most beers that do 40's now only do the 24 oz. can and it is rare to see the 22 oz. bottle.


As to its taste.  It pours golden in color, well carbonated, with an inch of pure white head.  The smell is moderately sweet, corn, some grass and straw, a bit of lagery funk. The taste follows the aromas, a bit sweet, but not too much, with a crisp, carbonated and refreshing finish.  It ends moderately dry, especially for the style. This is a very good malt liquor and deserves to stand up with the best of the big boys.  It is not overly sweet and it does not reek of alcohol with a sour taste like too many cheap malt liquors.  The aftertaste is true to the flavors. The flavor stays consistent until the very end of the bottle. This is still the King of malt liquors.


They used to make Olde English Ice 800.  That appears to be long gone and now the higher alcohol version is Olde English High Gravity.  I remember in the mid 1990's the OE Ice was the only ice malt liquor I found drinkable, all the rest were too sweet.  The High Gravity is alright, a bit sweeter and more apparent on the alcohol.  I prefer the regular anytime.


If you have never consumed a 40 oz. of Olde English 800 straight from the bottle, then you are missing something that should be on your bucket list.



No comments:

Post a Comment