Tuesday, August 17, 2010

My first beer advice

If you have a question about beer, I'll do my best to answer it.  Here is our first reader question and my reply:

I come to you, fine sir, looking for something new. I'm bored with beer (gasp!). Your blog suggests that you may hold the knowledge to lead me to the promised land of new beer experiences.   My usual purchases are Belgians, IPAs, ESBs, pales ... . I'm particularly frustrated this time of year because it's friggin hot here in Texas and I can't stomach drinking anything too heavy.  Anyway ... any suggestions are welcome.

Thirsty and Miserable in Texas

Oh most favored acolyte, you are wise to seek me out.  Well, what is available beer-wise varies wildly from state to state, so I will probably try to talk more in generalities than specific beers as I do not know what is or is not available in Texas.

Taking your list of usual purchases (with which you profess boredom) and adding in the current heat, here are a few ideas: You obviously like highly flavored beers (excellent) but need something lighter. Give some German or Czech pilsners or lagers a try. They have great flavor but are much lighter and refreshing than the big boys you listed, especially on a hot summer day.
Another possibility along those lines would be to try some black lagers, either American or German. They are black as coffee, flavorful, but surprisingly light. Actually a really good one is the Shiner Black Lager which must be widely available in Texas. Perhaps you have had it. I think their Shiner Bock is good too.
A total out of left field approach would be to try some Belgian Krieks or other fruit lambics. They are a total change, but many are very good and they would be lighter more refreshing on the whole. I don't know if Founders (from Michigan?) is available down there, but they have a cherry beer called Cerise which is really great.
It is not available in every state, but if TX has the new Newcastle Summer Ale, give that a try.
Many German and American seasonal Oktoberfests are starting to appear already, giving some of those a try might be a good idea.
Finally, you could go totally crazy, your list does not include stouts or porters, grab a random sample and see what hits you. Many of the American ones are too sweet for my taste, but if its been awhile since you have had Guinness, the draught is lighter than most people think.
Sierra Nevada is probably available there. Almost everything they do is good. If Summit gets down that far south, everything they do is good too.
Oops, almost forgot, wheat beers are not to my liking, but if you like them, they make great light refreshing summer beers and can have interesting flavors, particularly since you do like Belgian beers, some of which have similar flavors in them.
Hopefully you have access to a beer store that sells singles, makes it easier to try things. Let me know what you find!

No comments:

Post a Comment