Sunday, May 26, 2013

Hurricane Category 5

Malt liquor fans, this is a 8.1% ABV high gravity malt liquor from Anheuser-Busch. Not much else to say, let's just get right to it. The beer pours pure golden in color with a thin head of white foam. The aroma is sweet grain, corn, with a light note of circus peanuts candy (remember those weird orange candy foamy things shaped like giant peanuts?). The taste is sweet and alcohol, a little grain and even more circus peantus candy, with a burn of carbonation and booze. There are some light chemical notes in there for fun. Overall, just too sweet. As usual with this type of thing, it is better straight from the can when you can't smell it first. This one is purely for chugging ice cold to get drunk quick. I do really like the design on the can. It could be worse (see any Minhas or City Brewing high alcohol malt liquors).


Some slight variations in the 2015 can:

3 comments:

  1. My take is that... the greatest percent of beer drinkers are not analyzing their beer so thoroughly... but, having said that... they have developed their own taste for beer and will judge all beers by that taste preference. But, the folks who agree that many drink the Hurricane Category 5, may be interested in the added buzz. So what!? My take is... it's better than a beer and a ball! It's the perfect alternative. And, really... it tastes just fine. PS Does anyone know the percentage of beer drinkers who actually drink beer out of a glass and are concerned with the amount of foam? Gimme a break!! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vince, I find the high alcohol malt liquors uniformly too sweet for my taste. If I was looking for low cost, I'd go with Olde English 800 (or Hamm's, Old Milwaukee, etc). If my goal was only to get drunk as cheaply as possible, I'd go with cheap vodka and a mixer, as that would taste better to me than the high alcohol malt liquors. But as I say on the main page of my blog, I'm just sharing my tastes, people should drink whatever works for them, I'll do what works for me. Thanks for the comment and cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a little bit this tonight. I tasted peanuts and alcohol.

    ReplyDelete