Saturday, July 21, 2012

New Belgium Prickly Passion Saison

The New Belgium Brewing Company is in Fort Collins, Colorado.  This 8.5% ABV saison is brewed using prickly pears and passion fruit.  It is from their Lips of Faith series.

The beer pours a very bright, light copper in color.  There is a fast dissipating head of just off-white foam.  The aroma is tart and yeasty, spicy, just the lightest touch of estery banana.  I have to be honest, I don't know what prickly pear or passion fruit smell or taste like, so they may be noticeable in the fruit aromas, and they may not.  The taste is very yeasty, the banana esters even more pronounced, with a note of overripe tropical fruit that is probably the passion fruit.  The finish is tart.  This beer does not work for me.  I then took this over to my dinner, and it seems to do better with food than on its own.



No comments:

Post a Comment