Saturday, August 7, 2010

The end of Glueks

It was announced this week that Cold Spring Brewery in Cold Spring, MN will stop making Gluek beer due to a lack of capacity and I would assume the least demand out of their many products must be for the Gluek line.  Gluek is "From the Land of Ten Thousand Lakes" and comes in Light, Golden Pilsner, Ice and I have also seen a Red and a Golden Bock.  I had tried the Light when I heard the news.  It was not great, but I knew I wanted to try the others and get them on my Beer List before it was too late, so I quickly planned a drive up to southern Minnesota to pick some up.  I got a case of the Golden Pilsner and a case of the Ice.  They do not seem to come in any size below a case.  The one store said they were no longer receiving shipments and the other store said they were selling more now that the word was getting out that it would no longer be made. 

I'll post some notes when I try them.  The light beer was not very good, a little thin, sour and metallic.  But I still love these American regional beers.  It is always a shame to see one die off.  The can says since 1857.  If that is true, it was a long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment